• Advertisement
Help a good cause...like donating to AerioStyle.com!

1/4 mile time on turbo J20

Nobody believes you ran a 13.9? Post your timeslip here! Personally, I run an 18 FLAT!

1/4 mile time on turbo J20

Postby wildebeast » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 am

I finally took the car back to the track a few months ago & got an OK run. It was 14.5 @ 97mph running at 7 psi boost.
I realize that is on par with most other stock turbo cars. I'll make some other minor changes & take it back to try to lower the times.
2000 Esteem. J20 (2.0) swap. T3 turbo - 7psi boost, exhaust, Clutchmasters stage 4 clutch. drag; 14.5sec @97.3mph in 1/4 mile. More changes to come.
wildebeast
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Advertisement

Help a good cause...like donating to AerioStyle.com!

Re: 1/4 mile time on turbo J20

Postby bboyalan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:15 am

That is pretty amazing compared to your previous N/A time. You knocked off one second and trapped ~8 faster. Was this at WG pressure? Any other details that you would not mind sharing?
3/S Street Tuner :-) San Diego's fastest, daily-driven VR-4 - fully gutted with lots of deletes!
'05 Aerio S || '06 RX-8 || '92 VR-4 - 24psi w/ 8K RL >> est. 550AWHP VD U/C on Pump-E85
I snapped a rod after 10k DD miles into the build, and now Panda v3 awaits...
New build in the works featuring AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, and methanol goodness
"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."
bboyalan
Super
Super

Postby wildebeast » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:22 am

No secrets here, this is a very basic setup with lots of room for improvement. What would you like to know?
2000 Esteem. J20 (2.0) swap. T3 turbo - 7psi boost, exhaust, Clutchmasters stage 4 clutch. drag; 14.5sec @97.3mph in 1/4 mile. More changes to come.
wildebeast
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby bboyalan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:49 am

How awesome of you. I am interested in your choice of snail and any supporting modifications [so far anyway]. It is safe to assume that you are rocking your custom fabricated T3-flanged exhaust manifold, correct? What really has me curious is how you are managing your fuel requirements. FMU? piggyback? How about your oil feed/return line routing?

It would be pretty damn cool to see an Aerio utilize the AEM F/IC for tuning over a typical AFC unit. I have never seen an ECU pinout diagram for our cars though.

Ah, it sounds really exciting considering the options out there :)
3/S Street Tuner :-) San Diego's fastest, daily-driven VR-4 - fully gutted with lots of deletes!
'05 Aerio S || '06 RX-8 || '92 VR-4 - 24psi w/ 8K RL >> est. 550AWHP VD U/C on Pump-E85
New build in the works featuring AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, and methanol goodness
bboyalan
Super
Super

Postby Robs05SX » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:04 am

Congrats on getting your project done! Your results sound pretty good. How much does your car weigh with the Turbo?
Robs05SX
Deputy Fife

Postby wildebeast » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:59 am

Yes, everything is on the same setup I currently have. I am sorry to say, but I had to ditch all this fancy stuff- which I was having trouble with. I went back to basics for now. The basic rule of thumb is that timing changes are not necessary below about 10 psi boost. Above that, one has to start pulling timing for every 1 psi. For me, the most reliable setup was to keep the stock injectors & stock fuel pressure regulator & added a 5th (extra injector about 10 inches from the throttle body) It is fed from the fuel rail, & is controlled by an external map sensor. So the car runs like stock until the boost comes in. As I said, it is a very basic setup. Everything plus instructions are included in a kit.
I don't want to put on any piggybacks on the car, I am looking into getting involved in the ECU tuning soon. If I use a piggyback, I will lose that option.
The oil feed can be teed from the oil pressure switch & the oil return goes straight below, at the highest point in the oilpan.
I have the ECU pinout for the J18 esteem, but I can get one for the Aerio if anybody needs it.
wildebeast
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby bboyalan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Ah, that makes sense then. It would be interesting to see how the increased load/injector duty cycles from >10psi affect which fuel/timing maps the ECU selects. Obviously, you could get away with both the increased boost + timing advancement with higher octane fuel for better power/response. You mentioned an external MAP sensor. I am assuming it triggers an independent relay for that fifth injector similar to methanol/propane injection systems, no?

Out of curiosity though, were you ever able to see any WBo2 readings? 11.x:1 AFR would be great on pump gasoline.

Are our ECU's even flash-capable? A GReddy e-Manage Blue/Ultimate system is an amazing option for tuning+wideband logging, and it can make easy work of the drop-in WRX injectors although I do see your point with "K.I.S.S." lol. If it is not too much trouble, I would love to see the pinouts for the Aerio.

I just ordered a factory service manual today :twisted:
bboyalan
Super
Super

Postby wildebeast » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm

I am going to make some minor changes to the motor & take it back to the track. I hope to pick up 2/10 ths of a sec. to net me abot 14.3 @ 99 mph. I want this to happen at the same 7 psi boost. I hope to get this done in a week or 2.
wildebeast
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby esteem_turbo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:12 am

wildebeast wrote:Yes, everything is on the same setup I currently have. I am sorry to say, but I had to ditch all this fancy stuff- which I was having trouble with. I went back to basics for now. The basic rule of thumb is that timing changes are not necessary below about 10 psi boost. Above that, one has to start pulling timing for every 1 psi. For me, the most reliable setup was to keep the stock injectors & stock fuel pressure regulator & added a 5th (extra injector about 10 inches from the throttle body) It is fed from the fuel rail, & is controlled by an external map sensor. So the car runs like stock until the boost comes in. As I said, it is a very basic setup. Everything plus instructions are included in a kit.
I don't want to put on any piggybacks on the car, I am looking into getting involved in the ECU tuning soon. If I use a piggyback, I will lose that option.
The oil feed can be teed from the oil pressure switch & the oil return goes straight below, at the highest point in the oilpan.
I have the ECU pinout for the J18 esteem, but I can get one for the Aerio if anybody needs it.

If you found injector for saab turbo and put the fuel pressure in 43psi is gone run like factory and 10psi of boost :twisted: The factory computer always gone adjust to the factory map.
有田ターボ性能
ターボスズキ自尊心
esteem_turbo
Aerio Casual
Aerio Casual

Postby MidknightCowboy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:05 pm

esteem_turbo wrote:
wildebeast wrote:Yes, everything is on the same setup I currently have. I am sorry to say, but I had to ditch all this fancy stuff- which I was having trouble with. I went back to basics for now. The basic rule of thumb is that timing changes are not necessary below about 10 psi boost. Above that, one has to start pulling timing for every 1 psi. For me, the most reliable setup was to keep the stock injectors & stock fuel pressure regulator & added a 5th (extra injector about 10 inches from the throttle body) It is fed from the fuel rail, & is controlled by an external map sensor. So the car runs like stock until the boost comes in. As I said, it is a very basic setup. Everything plus instructions are included in a kit.

If you found injector for saab turbo and put the fuel pressure in 43psi is gone run like factory and 10psi of boost :twisted: The factory computer always gone adjust to the factory map.

+++11111
About the factory ecu adjusting to the factory map, it's quite true. Also sometimes when using a APEXI or some other type it does reset the ecu on the 1.8L and 2.0L engines. The 2.3L does not as it seems to be fixed somehow.
MidknightCowboy
Aerio Newbie
Aerio Newbie

Postby VernaShield » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:10 am

No secrets here, this is a very basic setup with lots of room for improvement. What would you like to know?
VernaShield
Aerio Virgin
Aerio Virgin

Return to Timeslips