• Advertisement
Help a good cause...like donating to AerioStyle.com!

03 manual clutch replacement

General discussion about anything and everything regarding the Suzuki Aerio.

03 manual clutch replacement

Postby Spartan117 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:21 am

With the help of a friend who knew what he was doing and made it possible I was able to successfully change my clutch. Saving 700$ or something.
battery out, linkages, and plugs removed.
aerio up on jacks
oil leaking out of axle
transmission removed
old clutch, little warn
putting the transmission back in
draining rest of oil
axles back in and wheels all assembled car basically together
before battery install
side of car and shop
filthy bumper
some more of the shop
aerio after battery installed, before start
Image'
aerio

and i started it, ran, its all good. just need to pick up and install the new slave cylinder, i striped the clutch pedal line bolt.
(30$)
Last edited by Spartan117 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Suzuki Aerio SX - Turbo 13 Psi - LOTS of mods - 13.9 @ 105 on crappy tires!!! :D
2002 BMW Mini Cooper S - Supercharged - Boost gauge - 15% pulley - catback exhaust 15 flat @ 94mph
Owner of http://www.suzukituning.info/ - site construction is on hold until the Aerio is back up and running.
Spartan117
Super
Super

Advertisement

David IQ Computer Repair

Re: 03 manual clutch replacement

Postby Spartan117 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:24 am

my flywheel was good to the eye, if its warped i couldnt see it so its fine, ima drive her smooth for a while and let it break in anyways. there were no knicks in the flywheel either. think the whole thing cost me about 220$ or so.
2003 Suzuki Aerio SX - Turbo 13 Psi - LOTS of mods - 13.9 @ 105 on crappy tires!!! :D
2002 BMW Mini Cooper S - Supercharged - Boost gauge - 15% pulley - catback exhaust 15 flat @ 94mph
Owner of http://www.suzukituning.info/ - site construction is on hold until the Aerio is back up and running.
Spartan117
Super
Super

Postby Jim In Indy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:53 am

Good way to save a bunch of $$'s !!

The garage/shop sure made it nice, huh?
('03 SX auto trans, Pearl White) Indianapolis, Indiana. Home of - The Indy 500, Moto GP, Brickyard 400, NHRA US Nationals... All the horsepower you could ever wish for in one place.
Jim In Indy
AerioStyle Addict!!!
AerioStyle Addict!!!

Postby Devilsword » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:44 pm

way to go!! how did you overcome the crutch of missing the clutch alignment tool? i really wish i had a garage to do some work in. i timed it once and found out that in the same temp weather it takes me about 15mins more to change a oil at night then during the day.Well nothing left to say but good job. I think you are the first shade tree mechanic to swap in a clutch on the aerio.
There is nothing honorable in street racing, hit the track and drop some panties http://www.youtube.com/user/devil5word Autocross panty dropping vids http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2349923/1 Old Cardomain
ImageImage
Devilsword
Super
Super

Postby Sean » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Any tips for us? i'm about to do mine...
Xyclone says: "its the whoasmawhatsit that connects to the thingamajig for making waffles on the go"
Sean
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby Devilsword » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 pm

did the manual help?
There is nothing honorable in street racing, hit the track and drop some panties http://www.youtube.com/user/devil5word Autocross panty dropping vids http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2349923/1 Old Cardomain
ImageImage
Devilsword
Super
Super

Postby Spartan117 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 pm

yeah it helped me, (thanks you devil) to locate some of the bolts on the trans. and figure out which way the clutch went in.
some things did go wrong, one of the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the fly wheel snapped in half, while tightening(thank god) so shes running 6/6 bolts now just ones missing the head. it won't go anywhere.
sorry i didnt take much pictures of crap apart. i kinda forgot. least i got the one of the transmission out hah otherwise no one would believe me. i striped the bolt that holds the clutch line on the slave cylinder so i had to buy that.

see this is the run down
30$-new slave cylinder/dot3 brake fluid
155$ -clutch
15$ -jack
40$- new socket wrench and gear oil and thread locker(which was only gonna be used if i was gonna remove the flywheel- i didnt)
i think thats it, so 240$ and around 12 hours of work, over 4 days
here are the rough steps
removed batt
removed all plugs/ linkage from clutch and all
removed clutch line drained clutch fluid(needed to be done anyways)
losen lugs on wheels
put on stands
removed wheels
unbolt the bottom of the struts from the arm
unbolted the main nut on the axle
pushed axle through (i found out u dont have to remove the caliper or anything, the rotor moves enough)
uhm lotta bolts haha
unbolted trans
removed
put clutch
did all that again.
it sucked

i just got my new slave cylinder, got the clutch actuator working so i was able to drive it. :) she shifts hard!!! just how i wanted it. my clutch pedal is a lot shorter and much much more stiffer.

oh and by the way. i took a 15mm spark plug socket. then took an extension and put it through the middle of it and added a socket onto it that fit the flywheel and used it to align them
Spartan117
Super
Super

Postby fiebru1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

EXCELLENT WORK, I TRULY APPRECIATE THE INFO & YES IT WILL HELP ME OUT...THANKS
fiebru1
Aerio Newbie
Aerio Newbie

Postby navyspenceros87 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 am

Cool. Mine was much easier. First I just bought a clutch......took my car in for repair under warrantly (blew my crank shaft bearings) and then just asked if they could put in the clutch while the engine was out.
Clutch- $190
Install-FREE!!
Joining the military may be patriotic but man it will piss you off every 14 days. The 15th is that nice paycheck.
navyspenceros87
Aerio Regular
Aerio Regular

Postby alex1002 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Anyway to get the pics working again?
alex1002
Aerio Virgin
Aerio Virgin

Return to General Discussion