• Advertisement
Help a good cause...like donating to AerioStyle.com!

How To: MAF cleaning

Technical walkthroughs and HOW-TO documents on how to get the most out of your Aerio. (if you don't know how-to do something this is not the place to ask, only view as a reference)

How To: MAF cleaning

Postby ShortBuSX » Tue May 02, 2006 9:38 pm

Today I pulled the MAF to do a thurough cleaning with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. The product appeared to work noticable well without removing the MAF, but I wasnt satisfied and had to push onward to cure my spark knock/pinging once and for all! This allowed me an oppritunity to take some pics for everybody else thats been sufferening with me, and for those that will suffer. Ive had the AEM, Ive got the K&N...I think its these oils that are causing the pinging by coating the MAF...but after 50k I think a lot of people may benifit as well in the way of increased MPG. The pinging has been reguarded as an air/fuel problem...and I cant believe this wasnt suggested sooner. THANK YOU Mroadrash and Lomita!!!

Heres the pics and the How To:

First, disconnect you battery! This will also reset the ECU(computer)

Second, find you a small socket wrench and a phillips bit...as a short stubby phillips fits, but its so hard to get a solid turn on in the cramped MAF sensor location.

Remove the MAF sensor slowly, the harness is short and the filaments are sensitive.

I would have suggested removing the MAF harness first, but the clip is so firm that removal is almost impossible while still mounted to the TB. I took this pic as I was reassembling it, but reconnecting the MAF and harness on the TB proved difficult on or off the TB...I never got a possitive click, and the tab never totally secured it, but the grip of the harness is tight, and I plan to do this cleaning again in the future...so Im not sweeting this clip, as itll make cleaning simpler in the future...or I will eventually get it clipped...whatever! No BFD!

This is the MAF removed, sorry about the pic quality, I had camera/battey issues and was in a hurry...notice the shiney oil all over the base...the rear filament was still crudded up, but you couldnt see it well in my pics...and the front filament got a decent cleaning a couple days ago(while the MAF was still on the TB).

And this is the MAF cleaned...the QD Electronic Cleaner disolved all the oil and crud...the MAF wires/filaments were shiney silvery clean again....notice no oily glare too.(still a crappy pic)

I blasted the hell out of the MAF wires/filaments with the QD EC repeatedly, atleast 10 times at different angles for seconds at a time...immeditaely it shines up metal parts and dries off instantly...and clean!

I carefully attached the MAF back on the TB, I tried to reconnect the harness at this point, but as mentioned I had problems getting that clip to possitively click back into place..even though I hadnt done any damage to it...so then back off with the MAF, connect the harness and press press press...Im confident with the connection, and move on.

Once I got the MAF back on I tightened the screws, reconnected the intake plumbing as well as the battery.

And its test drive time! :thumbsup:

Hope this works for you...Im very pleased with the results so far...and will report more observations as they are made. Wish me luck!(about the pinging)
Last edited by ShortBuSX on Tue May 02, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image '03 Aerio SX FWD Automatic my Car Domain
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Advertisement

David IQ Computer Repair

Re: How To: MAF cleaning

Postby yugrus » Tue May 02, 2006 9:42 pm

I wish you luck, as always!
'04 SX Auto FWD
yugrus
Super
Super

Postby ShortBuSX » Tue May 02, 2006 9:50 pm

Im feeling very confident at this point, but the drive to and from work is the real test. :wink:
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby 02suzukisx » Tue May 02, 2006 10:02 pm

so this cured ur pinging?
07 copper SX4 (manual)

02 silver aerio sx RIP 21 apr07
02suzukisx
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby ShortBuSX » Tue May 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Im really thinkin so! :mrgreen: The car is a rocket!!! :shock: No fuel treatment/additive has ever kicked like this! The car ROARS!

BTW the car cranks instantly too! That was getting sluggishly slow lately...even after a spark plug swap.
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby 02suzukisx » Tue May 02, 2006 10:27 pm

what else do u think i could use to clean it if i could get the stuff u used? (at 77K and never been cleaned)
07 copper SX4 (manual)

02suzukisx
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby Rick » Tue May 02, 2006 11:06 pm

If it works for you thats great Short. but....
Remember yugrus pings but always used paper filter, so should be no oil on MAF.
I NEVER ping, and I use 10 times more K&N oil on filter then they recommend.
( always let the oil carrier dry first before driving.)
Aerio drivers make better lovers, pass it on.
Rick
AerioStyle Addict!!!
AerioStyle Addict!!!

Postby ShortBuSX » Tue May 02, 2006 11:15 pm

Id recommend/suggest nothing else other than CRC Electronic Cleaner...or CRC MAF Cleaner. Id use either one but the MAF cleaner is going to cost almost twice as much, and more than likely be harder to find. Also, I dont personally know of any other products to suggest for this purpose...although Im sure another electronic cleaner may work, this one is known.

For more info about MAF cleaning, as well as countless references to the above mentioned product, goto BITOG and search "MAF", youll find 3 pages with lots of good topics to choose from about it all.

If youre are going to do the MAF cleaning, Id highly recommend a Throttle Body cleaner as well, since the MAF will be out you could spray away with out any fears of disturbing the MAF(but Ive never had any fears of it before).
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby Sean » Wed May 03, 2006 12:01 am

This is a little off topic, but I was looking at pics and noticed that the J20 throttle body has a little "fence". A mod for many other cars is to tear that "fence" (sorry dont really remember the name) out, it will get you cfm's up and that should help out in the HP department, minimal but should :thumbsup:
Xyclone says: "its the whoasmawhatsit that connects to the thingamajig for making waffles on the go"
Sean
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby SketchMaster » Wed May 03, 2006 12:42 am

Think this would do some good to my Aerio? As far as I know, it hasn't had a oiled filter in it but has 75K+ miles on it.
SketchMaster
Aerio Casual
Aerio Casual

Postby ShortBuSX » Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 pm

Cant wait to get off work and put it through the wringer!

As fas as filters that are oiled or not...from what Ive gathered itll benifit just about everyone with significant mileage(mine only had 16k when my issues started)...CRC recommends using thier MAF cleaner after every filter change.

Could somebody else, who might be considering doing this, just take note how long your car takes to start...and then again after its cleaned? I just want confirmation its not my imagination.
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby 02suzukisx » Wed May 03, 2006 5:01 pm

didnt time it but my auto-start works a lot easier now.
07 copper SX4 (manual)

02suzukisx
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby ShortBuSX » Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 pm

Wow! You did it already? And can you explain what you mean by "my auto works a lot easier now"? Is there anything you could add to the "how to" that I might have missed? Did you remove the MAF? Did you have a difficult time finding the product? What did you use? QD EC or the MAF Cleaner? Did you clean the throttle body while you were at it?(with TB cleaner of course)

My drive home was an absolute pleasure, I didnt even take the interstate, I took US1 and its covered with traffic and lights, especially after work. Outside temps read at 88-90*, and it did change between those temps, I kept an eye on it. The car just screams, and the amount of improvement far exceeds any mod Ive done thus far! Sooo much more power than before...Im not suggesting this creates power, but moreso that it gave it back to me.

Also, my car did ping, it was very faint and mild/light, and if you didnt know what to listen for you might not have heard it, and it didnt do it everytime I flogged it(maybe twice)...so Im saying Im 99.90% done with the pinging, normal driving shouldnt produce it anymore for me...but I already plan on blasting the hell out of it again...and with the harness not locked on, itll be a 5 minute job.
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby yugrus » Wed May 03, 2006 9:22 pm

I bought automotive electronics cleaner today, Canadian home version. Pulled out MAF/IAT assembly as soon as I got home. BTW, it is a pleasure to take it out on '04+. And it is really fool-proof, you have to try to break something, everything is sort of enclosed.
It was clean. The inside of the intake was clean too.
Blasted a hell out of it, as per instructions.. I don't think I have much cleaner left.
Went for a ride, and although it was not really hot (around 77F, 25C), the engine was pretty warm. I could hear it pinging when I went by parked cars, but it was fairly quiet inside the cabin. So I don't really hold my breath, we'll see tomorrow after the traffic jam on my way home...

Although I made a point to clean MAF at every oil change, given how easy it is to do that.
'04 SX Auto FWD
yugrus
Super
Super

Postby SketchMaster » Wed May 03, 2006 10:16 pm

I gave it a try, and I think it helped with the "oomf" factor a bit.

for ~$5, this is something worth doing even if it does anything or not.
Last edited by SketchMaster on Fri May 05, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SketchMaster
Aerio Casual
Aerio Casual

Next

Return to Tech / How-To