• Advertisement
Help a good cause...like donating to AerioStyle.com!

How To: MAF cleaning

Technical walkthroughs and HOW-TO documents on how to get the most out of your Aerio. (if you don't know how-to do something this is not the place to ask, only view as a reference)

Re: How To: MAF cleaning

Postby ShortBuSX » Thu May 04, 2006 3:15 pm

yugrus wrote:I bought automotive electronics cleaner today, Canadian home version.

Wow, Im kinda bummed it didnt work for you Yuri.

But what were the ingedients of that Canadian Tire brand?
Mine has:
Methanol
n-Hexane
Isohexane
Carbon Dioxide
Petrolium Distillates

Just trying to compair the difference and why it may not have worked as well.
Image '03 Aerio SX FWD Automatic my Car Domain
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Advertisement

David IQ Computer Repair

Postby iannicholson » Thu May 04, 2006 5:32 pm

yugrus wrote:...it is a pleasure to take it out on '04+. And it is really fool-proof, you have to try to break something, everything is sort of enclosed...

I just wish they did a better job of securing the brass threads in the plastic :evil: Last time I had mine out, one of the brass beads started spinning in the plastic :evil: :evil: :evil:

I think I'll try this tonight tho... My pinging problems are as bad as ever right now...

-IanN
iannicholson
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby 02suzukisx » Thu May 04, 2006 5:55 pm

I used the same thing u used. the auto start is something i had installed (hit a button on keychain and she starts) works a lot easier(sometime time it will false start usening that).
i forgot to clean the Tb, :banghead: had the cleaner in the back and everyting.
07 copper SX4 (manual)

02 silver aerio sx RIP 21 apr07
02suzukisx
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby ShortBuSX » Thu May 04, 2006 8:59 pm

The start ups were a fluke...back to somewhat sluggish starts.

Slight pinging...not consistant.

Still major improvement on the acceleration! I cant keep my foot out of it!
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby Rick » Thu May 04, 2006 10:11 pm

Short for some reason you ( and I mean you ) seem to get good running conditions right after resetting ECU. I have lost track of how many times now you said how great your car is running now after reset.... Of course cleaning MAF I am sure helped but.... wonder if on your car resetting, then ECU using a base factory timing curve it runs great with no ping, until it relearns a new low emissions best setting curve, but on yours that causes the pinging.
lol not sure if I am explaining it proper, so you know what I'm getting at.
Aerio drivers make better lovers, pass it on.
Rick
AerioStyle Addict!!!
AerioStyle Addict!!!

Postby ShortBuSX » Fri May 05, 2006 12:29 am

Im not sure I understand you...just last week I reset the ECU when I changed my plugs, was no noticeable difference, car pinged just as much as before, even though Id gone a heat range cooler. So its not everytime. Nor can I remember the last time I reset and noticed a difference, except the UD pulley...I just dont know what youre getting at.

I know several times Id done something to stop the pinging and everytime it still comes back...this time not as bad, and performance has improved dramaticly even if it didnt totally cure that 100%.
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby iannicholson » Fri May 05, 2006 5:30 pm

Well, I cleaned my MAF and MAP sensors last night... Along with cleaning some of the carbon from around the throttle butterfly...

I also removed my heat shield, as I'm getting an odd rattle that occurs almost where the pinging does... Except this rattle is a lot more consistent (I can reproduce it EVERY time)... I'm thinking I've got a damaged cam lobe or HLVA :shock: since removing the heat shield did nothing for the rattle...

But back to the cleaning, I noticed very little difference, other than it seems to run a tad smoother now... Now with preliminary test-driving, it seems like my pinging is way less... But I don't want to get Neal's hopes up just yet...

Also, I have a stock intake (minus the baffle), so it's not getting oil from there... However, the intake plenum is disgusting inside (from what I can see using a mirror and flashlight), and the MAP sensor was COVERED in oil. I took some pictures of what I removed from the MAP sensor mounting location, but I haven't uploaded them yet...

On a side note, I did notice that I have an exhaust leak :evil: It's the joint of the header to the downpipe; it appears to be warped, and is apparently leaking (half-dollar sized soot mark on the heat shield just above and to the right of the bottom mounting bolt)... So I may just take this thing in to the dealer to see what they say... I took some pictures of this too...

-IanN
iannicholson
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby ShortBuSX » Fri May 05, 2006 6:20 pm

I wanna see this MAP sensor cleaning.

Your rattle isnt that cat bolt still? I know you were complaining about that in the past.
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby iannicholson » Sun May 07, 2006 11:00 pm

ShortBuSX wrote:I wanna see this MAP sensor cleaning.

Your rattle isnt that cat bolt still? I know you were complaining about that in the past.

I didn't take any pics of the sensor itself, but it just looked like it had a thin coating of motor oil on it. I used the contact cleaner on it, but i didn't get heavy residue coming off of it.
Image Image Image

Also, I didn't take any pics of the MAF sensor, but I'm fairly certain there was no problem with it... I just now realized, mine probably isn't prone to carbonizing like the '02-'03 is, since my MAF is about 18 inches from the throttle-body... :P

Here are a couple of pictures of the header/downpipe joint... You can see the gap, and the absence of it near the bolt :shock: It would have to have gotten VERY HOT, right?
Image Image Image

No, I installed the missing cat-bolt (meow?) like a week after I noticed it... It may have helped some, but the loose engine mount bolt was the real cause... (You think that engine flops around when things are normal??? lol) No, this rattle is different... I really feel it's coming from one of the valves...

On a side note, I forgot to reconnect the MAP sensor cable before I started the engine (DAMMIT I was trying soooo hard not to do that!)... I fixed that the next morning...

-IanN
iannicholson
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby 02suzukisx » Mon May 08, 2006 2:43 am

I guess i cleaned the MAP too and didn't know it.
07 copper SX4 (manual)

02suzukisx
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby ShortBuSX » Mon May 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Howd that MAP celaning do for you?

BTW with the MAF, its location doesnt matter, its not a matter of carbon...its crust, fitler crust/dirt/funk...it just builds up weather you have a K&N or not.
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby 02suzukisx » Mon May 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Pretty easy i just use the same cleaner on it and wiped out the oil.
07 copper SX4 (manual)

02suzukisx
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby ShortBuSX » Mon May 08, 2006 7:56 pm

me wrote:celaning .... fitler

And that was AT work...just anticipating that after work brew!

I dont trust the MAP cleaning, it looks as complicated as the timing, maybe even moreso...the FSM says its adjustable by turning it on the 2 bolts...I dont wanna disrupt all that...unless it was just that simple. You tell me. :shrug:
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

Postby iannicholson » Tue May 09, 2006 1:01 pm

You sure you ain't talkin' 'bout the IAC valve? The sensor I'm calling the MAP sensor has no adjustment! Maybe I'm wacky?

-IanN
iannicholson
Aerio Veteran
Aerio Veteran

Postby ShortBuSX » Tue May 09, 2006 3:11 pm

No, from what I recall(and I recently read it) the FSM says its adjustable by rotating it between those 2 bolts...I'll quote it later when I have the FSM in front of me.
ShortBuSX
BuSX Driver
BuSX Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Tech / How-To